Thursday, August 9, 2007

Tomato Soup and Tomato Plants

I guess it is just the season for tomatoes!
I went to the Farmers Market here in Columbia today and bought a beautiful box of tomatoes. My plan for tomorrow is to make tomato soup from a family recipe. I grew up with this recipe and am thrilled to be able to attempt making it myself and sharing it with my family. I'm mostly comfortable with the canning process. I did a small batch (yeilding only 3 and 1/2 pints) of applesauce a while ago to sort of ease into it. At the end of the day we'll hopefully have 10 quarts of soup canned!

Steve and I (well mostly Steve) grew tomato plants from seed this year and they are finally bearing fruit. They were a little stunted because of our laziness at putting them in the ground! But they are big and beautiful now. We're very proud of our nine plants! Although we planted a variety of types of tomato the Romas are our only survivors. Early this morning I weeded around the plants. Steve keeps them watered so the least I can do is help tend the garden every now and then. The fruit are still quite small, about the size of a thumb. Hopefully as they ripen they will not become snacks for bugs or birds. This has also been a learning experience. One we both enjoy and next year perhaps we'll become more adventurous including other vegetables in our plot.

No comments: